Discuss our ADEMCO Emulator hardware.
Go to bottom Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Relay support (initial beta report)
Relay support (initial beta report) 6 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 8
This is a first report on the beta firmware with support for up to four virtual 4204 relay boards. 16 virtual relays total. Note the software is still in beta (Contact Sean M. for information) and the release will depend on final QA and updating the GUI to support the new features.

One major application for these virtual relays is the ability to watch for zone open and close events directly for ALL zones in your panel. Previously you could watch for Expander module events and RF device events. But, the events from the 8 on-board zones were not visible. Now, with Relay support, these last 8 zones can be made visible. The rest of this post describes how to set up ad2usb and your panel to make this happen.

CAVEAT: I did this on a 20P, your panel may differ.

To get started, the new firmware adds a new section to the ad2usb's built-in config settings:
Code:

!>Keypad Address       (17) :
>!>Code               (0000) :
>!Zone Expanders Y/N Max allowed: 01
!>module #01 ZN 09-16 (N) :
>!>module #02 ZN 17-24 (N) :
>!>module #03 ZN 25-32 (N) :
>!>module #04 ZN 33-40 (N) :
>!>module #05 ZN 41-48 (N) :
>!Relay Modules Y/N Max allowed: 04
!>module #01 (Y) :
>!>module #02 (Y) :
>!>module #03 (Y) :
>!>module #04 (Y) :

Unless you already have one or more 4204s in your system, you will probably want to enable all the relays your panel can support: 4 Relay Modules on a 20P and 2 on a 15P. Check your manual for other models. Note that in the panel settings these modules will show up as addresses 12-15. These instructions assume that no physical 4204 Relay boards are installed.

Warning: The rest of this post discusses Panel Programming and assumes you have a basic understanding of Programmer mode.

Once the Relays have been configured, you will need to program your panel to activate them. On the 20P this is done through the *79 and *80 menus.

The *79 menu creates logical output device. Each logical output defines a device (Relay, X10 device or built-in trigger). Only the Relay type is supported by the ad2usb. You will probably want to create 8 logical output devices and number them 1-8 for convenience (to map to your on-board zones 1-8). Each logical output device should have Output Type 1 = relay on 4204/4229 module. Then, starting with Device #1 use Module Address 12, and Relay Position 1, and so on for the first 4 (1-4) logical devices. Then use Module Address 13, and Relay Position 1, and so on for the next 4 (5-8) logical devices.

Next, on menu *80 you will create the output functions that will trigger the logical output devices you just created. The Output Functions should be numbered 1-8 to match your on-board zone numbers and the logical device numbers. This is not required, but it will make things easier to track later on. When creating each Output Function, you will want the Activated By set to 3 = Zone number. Next, for Enter Event select 1 = alarm/fault/trouble. For the Output Action select 2 = Stay Closed. and finally, select the Output Number of a logical device you created in menu *79. I suggest you keep the numbering straight. Output function 1 to logical device 1, etc. Now, each time any of your 8 zones is closed, you will see a Relay event like this in your ad2usb data stream: !REL:12,01,01

The next step is to reset the zone when the fault clears. To do this use menu *80 again. This time create 8 new Output Functions, numbered 9-16. These will be identical to the first 8, except that under Enter Event you will select 0 = restore, for the Output Action you will select 0 = Off and for the Output number you will map these to the original 8 logical devices: 9 to 1, 10 to 2, through 16 to 8. Now, when a zone restores, you will see a message like this in your ad2usb data stream: !REL:12,01,00

That is all, except for one possible problem. On my panel, when I added Output Functions 9-16, the panel seemed to want to reference logical devices 9-16 automatically, even if I selected one of the devices 1-8 I had created, the summary display indicated that I had selected a device with X10 capabilities. My solution was to temporarily create logical output devices 9-16 and make then the same as devices 1-8. These were never actually referenced and I can now delete them if I want... But, it got me past the configuration issue. It is also possible that it would have worked anyway, but I did not test that.

Other than the !REL: prefix, Relay devices report the same as Expander devices. See !EXP Messages in this post for more information.
berkinet (Moderator)
Moderator
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Location: SF Bay Area
Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/11/08 22:12 By berkinet.

The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:Relay support (initial beta report) 4 Years ago Karma: 0
shep29 (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/02/27 11:17 By shep29.

berkinet wrote:
They should they be programmed # 1-4 for module 12 and # 1-4 for module 13?

OK so I will change the variables in the relay position column to 12/1, 12/2, 12/3, 12/4, 13/1, 13/2, 13/3...

What about the programming in *80? Does anything have to map to the relay position?
shep29 (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Logged Logged

The administrator has disabled public write access.
Re:Relay support (initial beta report) 4 Years ago Karma: 8
The goal of this configuration is just to have the panel send an event to the relay so you can see the message in the ad2usb data stream. So. it is not necessary to map any panel actions to the relay.
berkinet (Moderator)
Moderator
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Location: SF Bay Area
Logged Logged

The administrator has disabled public write access.
Go to top

Lost Password?
©2017 Nu Tech Software Solutions, Inc. | Terms and Conditions | Service Level Agreement | Acceptable Use Policies | Contact Us