Office: 503-443-2000 | Fax: 503-968-1877 | Email:
Nu Tech Software Solutions is an Information Technology Services and Software Development company.
We focus on highly available applications for both the Internet and Enterprise. Expertise in both the Microsoft and Linux/LAMP environments.
If you need a Content Management System (CMS) we can do it! We are experienced with both Joomla! and Drupal!
Contact us at: Phone: (503) 443-2000, Email:

Home
AlarmDecoder/AD2USB
Contact Us
AlarmDecoder Forum
FAQ
Online Store
 Home
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Getting Started with the AD2USB device (2 viewing) (2) Guests
Discuss our ADEMCO Emulator hardware.
Go to bottom Favoured: 1
TOPIC: Getting Started with the AD2USB device
Getting Started with the AD2USB device 10 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 7  
First off Congratulations on getting your new toy.

You need the USB drivers if you are windows. Your computer probably has them installed already if you have ever used a usb2serial devices as 99% of them use an FTDI chip like I do.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm Install version 2.04.14 or later

Connect the 12v GND DI and DO lines to the devices. The device gets power from the alarm to operate.

Connect the devices to a PC. You should see it install some new hardware or give some indication that a new devices was installed. It will be a com port.

You can see this com port under your device manager on windows.

First try to use the device directly with a terminal program.

The program I have used for years and trust is putty. If you have XP you an use Hyperterm.
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

Pick the com port that was added say COM3 using any baud or other settings as you want they are not even looked at anyway.

If your device ends up at a com port about 4 say COM10 you will need to go into the device manager and move this down to a lower number or Perl wont be able to use it.

You should now see some text spewed at you.

If you now press '*' your panel should respond as if you hit the same key On your alarm panel.

The sample code and programs are at our site. They require perl. Activestate is the one I use also strawberry perl I hear is good.

All documentation and samples are available in the forums at http://www.nutech.com/.

Videos
* Attaching the AD2USB to your panel

* Connecting the AD2USB to your Windows Computer

* Connecting the AD2USB to your MAC OSX

I also now have available to purchase an alarm panel unlocker program. This program when used with this device will determine the master installer code and any other codes on the alarm panel.

Keep me posted on your testing etc. I try to respond to emails in the same day I get them.

Re
Sean Mathews
Nu Tech

File Attachment:
File Name: Visual Quick Start V2 Hardware
File Size: 53496

File Attachment:
File Name: Quick Start V1 Hardware
File Size: 53496

File Attachment:
File Name: Quick Start V2 Hardware
File Size: 433291
mathewss (Admin)
Admin
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Logged Logged  

Last Edit: 2012/09/04 12:09 By mathewss.

struct SoftwareProfessional {
double salary;
long lunches;
float jobs;
char unstable;
void work;
short tempers;
};

The administrator has disabled public write access.  
Re:Getting Started with the AD2USB device 8 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 1  
I recently installed AD2USB on a Vista 50P connecting with a Win7 (x64) Ultimate PC .

I suggest the following additions to your instructions - highlighted in red

You will need to configure the alarm system with the address of the AD2USB as a new keypad device. For example, the default keypad address for an Vista 15P is 16. The AD2USB comes configured as device 18.

If your alarm system does not have a spare Security Panel configured, you will have configure one. In this case, you can 1) call your security monitoring company and ask them to add in a new panel - (ask them what address they configured it to); or 2) if you know the Installer Code, you can program it in yourself. You should reference the Programming Guide and Installation and Setup Guide for your unit. (I found these at www.aesecurity.com/manuals.html ) Installation is done with the #93 prompted menu mode and the Device Programming section. (My installer had nicely written the installed zones and device numbers on the inside of the security panel door so I just picked the next Device Address; Device Type = Alpha Keyboard, since I have a multiple partition system, I set it to a "Master Keyboard" partition 0, and set set my Sound option as to 00 to hear all beeps).)

On your PC, you need the USB drivers if you are running Windows. Your computer may have them installed already if you have ever used a usb2serial devices as 99% of them use an FTDI chip. Access
www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm and Install version 2.04.14 or later.

Connect the 12v GND DI and DO lines to the devices. The device gets power from the alarm to operate.

Connect the devices to a PC. You should see it install some new hardware or give some indication that a new devices was installed. It will be a com port.

You can see this com port under your device manager on Windows.

First try to use the device directly with a terminal program.

The program I have used for years and trust is putty. If you have XP you an use Hyperterm.
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

Pick the com port that was added say COM3 using any baud or other settings as you want they are not even looked at anyway.

If your device ends up at a com port about 4 say COM10 you will need to go into the device manager and move this down to a lower number or Perl wont be able to use it.

You should now see some text spewed at you.

At this point, you can set the device address of the AD2USB to match the device address you configured in the ADEMCO VISTA system. To do this just press ! in your terminal and enter the new address. You can leave the panel code blank or 0's as this is currently not used.

If you now press '*' your panel should respond as if you hit the same key on your alarm panel.

If it appears to take a long time for the send... operation, this probably means that the Security Panel is not recognizing the AD2USB - check that it configured in the VISTA system and the AD2USB has been set with the matching device number.

The sample code and programs are at our site. They require perl. Activestate is the one I use also strawberry perl I hear is good.

Note for Windows (x64) - I had problems installing the x64 bit versions of Pearl -- the 32-bit versions worked fine.

All documentation and samples are available in the forums at www.nutech.com/.
rbergquist (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Logged Logged  

Re:Getting Started with the AD2USB device 7 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 0  
Is it the case that the ad2usb with serial adapter must be initialized via the usb port, before data can be sent to the panel? This appeared to be the case for my ad2usb. I could receive data, but I couldn't send. I could see the data with a scope on the receive line, but no data on the transmit line until I connected via USB.
gtennys (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Logged Logged  

Re:Getting Started with the AD2USB device 7 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0  
I have just started using it and its working quite well for me but is little complicated to understand.
robertjerry (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male robertjerry robertjerry CheriseFastic1706@hotmail.com robertjerry Location: 1401 N Logan St, Texas City, TX 77590 Birthdate: 1986-08-08
Logged Logged  

Re:Getting Started with the AD2USB device 7 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 8  
robertjerry wrote:
I have just started using it and its working quite well for me but is little complicated to understand.
Welcome to the ad2usb club. Please free to ask any questions you may have to get your ad2usb up and running.
berkinet (Moderator)
graphgraph
Logged Logged  

Re:Getting Started with the AD2USB device 7 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0  
I posted this to support. I was wondering if anyone on these forum had any insight...

I've got a ademco alarm panel model k10145x10 (vista 20p) and i'm trying to do the correct wiring to a ad2usb. The panel is in my kitchen and it gets power from a plugin power supply that is wired from the basement mechanical room. The power supply feeds power up to the panel with a red and black wire only. These go to wiring positions 15,16 on the panel. The alarm panel is also wired to the same basement with an additional phone line wires (blue, red, black and yellow wires in positions 2,3,4,5) which aren't being used. (see attached image)

I'm not sure under this configuration how I supply power to the panel (in the kitchen) AND the ad2usb device (in the basement). The ad2usb device needs to be in the basement next to the alarm panel power supply as I want to connect the ad2usb via usb to a micasaverde vera controller.

At the alarm panel can i connect two black wires and two red wires together at the panel so that I can power the panel AND the ad2usb from the same power supply?

The panel doesn't seem to have a an additoinal power out for me to provide power in from the power supply in the basement then a separate power connection out from the panel to the AD2USB.

So on the panel in position I have wires in position 2,3,4,5 (phone line in blue, red, black,yellow) and wires in position 15, 16 (power supply red, black)

can I take wires that are in 2,3,4,5 and place them in positions 13,14,15,16 which would be (data in, data out, power, power) positions 15 and 16 would then have two black and two red wires in them

Any advice on wiring under this configuation would be appreciated.

Thank you
connornu (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Logged Logged  

Last Edit: 2011/12/16 11:04 By connornu. Reason: added image

Go to top

Lost Password?
©2019 Nu Tech Software Solutions, Inc. | Terms and Conditions | Service Level Agreement | Acceptable Use Policies | Contact Us